Dumplings made of whole wheat flour with meat and sauerkraut (pierogi)
I love to eat and prepare dumplings, ok, the only thing I hate in dumplings preparation is dough rolling.
To avoid eating unhealthy white flour, I suggest preparing the dumplings based on whole wheat flour. In the case of dumplings with meat, the combination of whole wheat flour seems to work very well.
Ingredients for the dough (about 50 dumplings):
- 0,5 kg whole wheat flour
- 0,3 l very hot water
- 30 g melted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
Ingredients for the filling :
- 500g cooked meat, for example: beef, chicken, pork
- optional, if we have cooked vegetables: such as carrot, parsley, celery, leek, they can be added to the filling
- 500g sauerkraut
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Ingredients for dumplings decoration:
- 200g sliced bacon or
- as in the picture above sliced salami and ham (a very tasty combination)
Recipe for the filling:
- Rinse the sauerkraut and cook until tender,
- After cooking drain the sauerkraut well of moisture,
- Grind meat, sauerkraut and cooked vegetables in a meat grinder,
- Fry the onion in a pan and add to the filling,
- Season the filling with salt and ground pepper, mix all ingredients.
Recipe for the dough :
- In a large bowl mix together: whole wheat flour, salt, hot water and butter, process until dough starts to form,
- Divide the dough into 2 peace, roll out each piece of the dough for about 3 mm thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut circles out of the dough.
- Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of filling into the centre of each circle, and fold the dough over the filling, stick the sides of the dough carefully together,
- Cook the dumplings in boiling salted water for about 3 -5 minutes.
- Decorate dumplings with fried bacon or salami before serving