Two colors shortbread cake with blackcurrant jam (pleśniak)
Very popular in Poland two colors shortbread cake with blackcurrant jam (pleśniak). I present the autumn version of this cake with leaves cut out of cake.
Ingredients for the shortbread cake:
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 pack of vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200g butter (softened to room temperature),
- 4 yolks
- 4 tablespoons dark cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blackcurrant jam
Ingredients for the meringue:
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Sift the flour, add all dry ingredients (except cocoa) and mix everything together,
- Add: yolks , butter,
- Process the dough with your fingers until it is smooth and formed,
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Put two pieces in the fridge for about 30 minutes,
- Add cocoa and 1 tablespoon of cold water to the third cake peace and process the dough until it gets uniform colour,
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees,
- Prepare the rectangular springform pan for baking. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper,
- Roll out the first portion of light dough and place on the bottom of the springform pan. Bake at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- During this time cut out leaf shapes from the second light dough,
- Remove the first dough from oven. Spread the blackcurrant jam on top,
- Roll out the dark dough and put it in the blackcurrant jam layer,
- In additional bowl beat egg whites until they are foamy, at the end add powdered sugar and mix gently,
- Decorate the top of the cake with prepared leaves decorations.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 50 minutes.